About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for an Ecology Design Lead to join our team to work in/across Birmingham.
- Co-ordinate with DJV discipline leads the development of the Basis of Design Ecology (consolidation and Stage 2 DD);
- Collaborate, attend handover meetings with HS2 and EWC Ecology counterparts to ensure efficient transfer of information for BBVs requirements;
- Plan and review ecological survey requirements;
- Lead and prepare the consultation package for Ecology mitigation works & Stage 2 / baseline surveys;
- Co-ordinate attend key consultation meetings with HS2, Natural England, the Wildlife Trusts and other statutory consultees.
- Ensure Ecology design process is setup correctly during Consolidation and DD Stage and develop BBV Ecology Design Assurance.
- Provide technical expertise/ support for Environmental & Design team in the Ecology permanent and temporary design.
What you'll be doing
- Helps develop robust and comprehensive ecological mitigation measures to deal with environmental risks, working collaboratively with the whole project team;
- Accountable for fit for purpose methodology and assumptions that can withstand external scrutiny.
- Review and assure all ecological design deliverables including ESMPs, Biosecurity Management Plans, Environmental Fencing, Ecology Mitigation Schedules, NNL report and dashboard, Ecology Monitoring report and schedules, Enhanced Green/Grey Bridges Assessment, Ecology Surveys geo-databases: Data & Proforma).
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/ experience are essential:
- Member of an environmental/ecological professional body;
- A sound understanding of biodiversity and ecological impact/mitigation issues on major infrastructure schemes;
- Good experience of Ecology permanent / temporary design, No Net Loss/Net Gain mechanisms and tools;
- Good computer skills particularly GIS tools (QGIS/ARCGIS or similar) and use of Office Suite to manage large data;
- Experienced with dealing with Natural England, Woodland Trust, Wildlife Trust and other Statutory bodies on such issues
- Experienced with protected species permits & licences applications and pre-engagement with Statutory bodies;
- Experience in planning and undertaking all manner of protected species surveys and mitigation works;
- Understanding of the benefits of working collaboratively to obtain the best outcome for the project
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Determination to see tasks through to completion, with excellent planning and organisation skills
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.