About the role
Balfour Beatty VINCI are recruiting for a Labour Manager to join HS2, the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe. Based around Birmingham the Labour Manager will be responsible for the management of the Agency Labour supply chain and Directly employed construction workforce. These include but are not limited to Steelfixers, Shuttering Carpenters, Ground Workers, Scaffolders, Plant Operators and Crane Drivers
What you'll be doing
- Manage forecasting needs across the project, collating the various labour histograms, providing detailed 3 month forecasts and predicted forecasts over the following 9 months.
- Management of Labour supply requirements through the main labour desk, ensuring that best resources for Project are provided.
- Provide through HR an effective management of grievance and disciplinary procedures for the weekly paid workforce
- Continually monitor, develop and implement through HR and Commercial a fair and competitive pay structure for the workforce
- Manage the industrial relations of a directly employed and labour agency construction workforce
- Partner with all areas of the project to ensure the right quantity, quality and skills mix of Operatives are provided within agreed timelines both at site set up and during the full life cycle of the project
- Take the lead on any local resourcing conflicts and ensure the best solution for Balfour Beatty VINCI is delivered
- Manage the transfer of labour across the project, to deliver the best solutions for the joint venture
- Work closely with the whole process team (to include operations, preconstruction, commercial, plant, business development and design), to ensure an effective and efficient project delivery
- Manage, develop and coach the site teams to ensure deliverables are met
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Regular liaison with recognised unions
Who we're looking for
- Previous experience of managing operative labour within a civil engineering or construction business.
- Proven ability to organise labour resourcing requirements, as well as assess and grade the skill levels of workforce applicants
- Experience gained as a Site Manager, Construction Manager or Works Manager is advantageous
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. This includes 42 viaducts, 66 over-bridges; four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures; creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered many key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.