About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Managing Quantity Surveyor to join our team to work on the HS2 project.
A Managing Quantity Surveyor is a very experienced QS who manages all costs relating on a large building and civil engineering projects or on a number of smaller ones, from the initial calculations to the final figures.
They will have significant experience in minimising the costs of a project and enhancing value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality.
They will have a track record of managing a commercial team and be a Chartered Member of the RICS, ICES or CIOB, and a mentor to other commercial staff on their journey to becoming professionally qualified.
What you'll be doing
As a Managing Quantity Surveyor , your main accountabilities will be as follows:-
- Applies principles of cost management & elemental cost analysis including life cycle implications where required
- Recognises and understands cost sensitive areas
- Undertakes risk analysis in the context of construction
- Manage the preparation of Target Costs
- Reviews progress of the project against the various programmes
- Preparation of delay and disruption programmes
- Report and explain the commercial progress to senior project staff
- Cost Planning and pre-contract cost control
- Manages commercial aspects with Customer and Stakeholders for their area of responsibility
- Has a good knowledge of and adheres to the Companys GMCEs, BMS and other governance
- Evaluate and negotiate tenders including Subcontractors and suppliers
- Undertakes constructability analyses using construction programmes
- Prepares procurement programme and helps develop the strategy
- Ability to draft and negotiate NEC forms of contract.
- Advising and contractual matters and formulating correspondence
- Undertakes benchmarking exercises & sets / monitors Performance indicators (KPI)
- Manages HR/People aspects for direct and indirect reports (PDRs etc)
- Actively supports the development of others including professional mentoring
Who we're looking for
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB
- Strategic change Management
- Achievement Focus (Achieving Results)
- Business and Customer Awareness
- Promotes organisational aims & objectives
- Manages customer needs
- Manages opportunities & threats
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.