About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Buyer to join our team to work in Birmingham.
To work closely with Senior Buyer to deliver the procurement process for projects, in accordance with BBV-HS2 Procurement and Supply Chain Management Strategy.
What you'll be doing
As a Buyer, your main accountabilities will be as follows:
Carry out the procurement process for procurement requirements in accordance with BBV-HS2 procurement & supply chain management strategy, under the supervision of the Senior Buyer in relation to the following:
- Preparation of request for proposals and quotations;
- Compilation of data relating to supplier responses, highlighting inconsistencies and differences and presenting information enable evaluation of responses;
- Carrying out supplier evaluations for designated procurement exercises;
- Conducting negotiations to enable the shortlisting of suppliers, for designated procurement exercises;
- Supporting final negotiations with selected suppliers;
- Preparing orders in accordance with BBV-HS2 procurement governance;
- Liaise with sites to assist with the resolution of supply issues as and when required;
- Provide regular reports on procurement and supplier performance;
- Monitor vendor database to ensure that it contains up to date details of available suppliers;
- Monitor the supply market to identify potential new suppliers and products and meet with suppliers to understand their products;
- Focus on exceeding minimum service expectations by delivering an agile, value adding service with a deep understanding of customer requirements, technical competence, functional knowledge and process efficiency;
- Establish performance led, long term supplier relationships focusing on value for money, service & product quality and continuous improvement to drive competitive advantage for BBV-JV;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm;
- Support the delivery of BBV-JV Sustainability activities.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Previous experience of procurement processes within a construction related environment;
- Able to demonstrate a proven track record in negotiation and process compliance;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- strong commercial awareness;
- a measured approach to decision making;
- the ability to ensure best value procurement;
- The ability to adopt a pragmatic, yet disciplined approach to process compliance;
- MCIPS or an interest in studying towards MCIPS is advantageous.
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging infrastructure project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people from the region to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 and we are looking for a wide range of skills to join the team and support this unique and ground breaking project.
Diversity and Inclusion: We aim to be a leader in equality, diversity and inclusion by creating a safe inclusive working environment for all - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership. We are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging all staff to engage in a diverse range of year round learning opportunities and provide personal development opportunities. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Flexible working: Flexible or agile working is encouraged at BBV and we recognise the value and diversity of candidates which this can bring to our business operations. Not every role can provide a variety of working patterns to suit people's personal needs however we are happy to discuss agile working opportunities at BBV with you.
Disability confident: We care about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. BBV is Disability Confident committed and we welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures; creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered many key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.