About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Design Coordinator to join our team to work in Birmingham
Assist the Design Manager in carrying out the Design Managers Accountabilities
What you'll be doing
- Responsible for a large multi-disciplinary design team, located in the UK and overseas
- Ensure the role of the Designer is fulfilled in accordance with CDM2015 and ensure that a CDM Design Risk Register is maintained documenting the design actions taken with due regard to the Principles of Prevention
- Ensure multi-disciplinary input to the design for the necessary expertise and coordination, including other BBV teams (internal), HS2 and external stakeholders
- Designs to be fully assured in accordance with the Works Information and BBV Project Execution Plan and Technical Assurance processes. Acceptance of the design by the Technical Approval Authority and external approval bodies such as Highways Authorities, Network Rail, Statutory Undertakers
- Ensure Design Briefs are prepared prior to design work commencing
- Ensure Technical Queries are raised in a timely manner and seek early resolution to avoid impact on the design programme
- Maintain an up to date design risk register and close out prior to final technical assurance stages
- Ensure Departures are raised and accepted where strictly necessary for area of responsibility
- Work closely with the BBV Consents team to ensure design deliverables are produced to meet consent application requirements
- Ensure work is undertaken in accordance with the BIM Execution Plan, ensuring that design information conforms to the necessary standards and can be shared for use in 4D and 5D planning and cost estimation
- Prepare Design Interface Control Documents in coordination with the Design & Engineering Interface Control Leads (where appointed for key stakeholders)
- Prepare designs in accordance with the agreed design programme and with an agreed resource to meet budget constraints
- Timely communication of change to the Design Project Manager, providing support for preparation of Compensation Events (cost and programme impacts)
- Technical skills to be aligned to the type of work in the section of responsibility, eg highways, highways structures, high speed rail structures, conventional rail interface, earthworks, tunnels, retaining walls
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Qualified Civil Engineer or similar equivalent, with multi-disciplinary breadth
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of the construction environment for safe and buildable designs
- Experience of working with a major design consultancy
- Highly organised with good management and coordination skills
- Leading teams, people management skills, effective delegation, mentoring & coaching and developing others
- Working knowledge of CDM 2015 Regulations and, in particular, Designer and Principal Designer duties
- Good Digital Skills
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging infrastructure project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people from the region to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 and we are looking for a wide range of skills to join the team and support this unique and ground breaking project.
Diversity and Inclusion: We aim to be a leader in equality, diversity and inclusion by creating a safe inclusive working environment for all - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership. We are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging all staff to engage in a diverse range of year round learning opportunities and provide personal development opportunities. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Flexible working: Flexible or agile working is encouraged at BBV and we recognise the value and diversity of candidates which this can bring to our business operations. Not every role can provide a variety of working patterns to suit people's personal needs however we are happy to discuss agile working opportunities at BBV with you.
Disability confident: We care about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. BBV is Disability Confident committed and we welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long-established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering several significant infrastructures; creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered many key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.