About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join our team to work in Birmingham.
A Senior Quantity Surveyor is an experienced QS who has a track record in managing all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures. They seek to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money, while still achieving the required standards and quality. Typically, they will be a Chartered Member of the RICS, ICES or CIOB.
They will have experience of managing a small team of less experienced commercial staff as well as mentoring others on their journey to becoming professionally qualified.
What you'll be doing
- Responsible for initiating and leading tasks and processes, taking responsibility and being accountable, where relevant, for the work and roles of others whilst exercising broad autonomy and judgement within broad parameters in their area of responsibility
- Responsible to a Project Manager or Commercial Manager for relevant commercial aspects of a section of a project
- Ensure that BBVs commercial position is protected using in depth understanding and experience of contractual, commercial, insurance and legal processes
- Some responsibility for effective client relationship management to encourage smooth commercial progression of the contract(s)
- Expected to manage and provide development and support to other commercial team members
- Demonstrates and maintains a high level of commercial and technical knowledge and works closely with the delivery team to develop techniques and solutions to meet business and customer needs
- Prepare subcontract invitations to tender and evaluate tender returns and make recommendations to appoint and places subcontracts accurately and on time
Who we're looking for
- Able to work well within a team and take on a leadership role where required
- Has a focus on achieving results and working to KPI's
- Manages customer needs and has business and customer Awareness
- Promotes organisational aims & objectives
- Manages opportunities & threats
The following qualifications are essential:
- BSc or MSc in Quantity Surveying or experience equivalent
- Membership of RICS, ICES or CIOB
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.