About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Environmental Design Engineer to join our team to work in/across Birmingham.
- Responsible for the environmental design of the Tunnels sub-lots and reviewing the models for all environmental topics that are to be produced in the MIDP during consolidation and detail design.
- Supports the sub-lots lot Design/Engineering Managers and Environmental Design Engineers Coordinators.
Ensure that the design is compliant with the Environmental Minimum Requirements and the Undertakings & Assurance via the EMR Compliance Checklist & Note.
What you'll be doing
- Support and Lead the Environmental Design along the Tunnels sub-lots;
- Supports Environmental Engineers/advisors assigned to Tunnel Sub-Lots in their technical assurance, review, input with tools and access to technical expertise.
- Provide environmental design integration instructions to the Environmental Design Engineers to ensure all key environmental design (technical) decisions / assurances are implemented consistently across all Structures/Tunnel Sub-Lots.
- Manage the interface with Environmental Works Contractor (EWC) on environmental surveys and other input data required to progress the design (Ancient woodland clearance, Alignment Changes, Environmental Mitigation's).
- Provide all necessary data to EWC design team to progress their works;
- Provide support in the overall environmental design assurance and interface with Design Joint Venture & EWC;
- Provide support in the interface with HS2 Senior environmental managers;
- Provide support in the coordination of the discipline leads;
- Support the estimator Lead Environmental Design Manager in developing the price of the environmental works.
- Manage the interface with EWC on environmental surveys and other input data required to progress the design (Ancient woodland clearance, Alignment Changes, Environmental Mitigation's)
Who we're looking for
To be successful in the role, ideally you will have experience of:
- Large scale linear project experience (High speed Rail, Rail and Highway).
- Significant experience with both a consulting engineer and either a main contractor or a specialist environmental contractor.
- Experience of environmental design and mitigation.
- Broad experience of all aspects of environmental design and works and impacts on 3rd Parties.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High standard of computer literacy.
- Confidence and experience to review designs prepared by others.
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.