About the role
We are currently looking to recruit an Environmental Construction Manager to support the Balfour Beatty Vinci joint venture for the HS2 project in Birmingham. The role will be to responsible for providing advice and support to the construction team regarding the environmental constraints and management issues in the Sub-Lots.
Responsible managing / challenging / assuring construction EMR compliance and ensuring these are fully integrated into construction design, site works and programme.
What you'll be doing
- Raise awareness of key environmental issues. Identify training needs and input into site training.
- Liaise with the Enabling Works Contractor on the full range of environmental co-ordination and handover for the Sub-Lot(s).
- Engage with sub-contractors and their environmental reps to embed environment requirements and effective implementation within their packages of work.
- Provide/facilitate writing of site environmental documentation.
- In coordination with the EMR team, ensure that construction methodology and programme is compliant with the EMRs and the U&As via the EMR Compliance Checklist & EMR Compliance Note
- Liaise with Consent and U&A team to ensure that any compliance issues are monitored and relevant information fed back to allow discharge of environmental conditions.
- Liaise with Sub-Lot teams to gather all information needed by core team specialists or DJV for production of Dust Risk Assessments, Noise & Vibration Assessments and other environmental topic documents for Construction.
- Collaborate with all other parties as required for the discharging of the responsibilities above.
- Demonstrate the BBV behaviours
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm for their own and their reports activities.
- Drive environmental / sustainability improvement and ensure that opportunities are identified and realised by pre-construction / construction teams.
Who we're looking for
- Large scale linear project experience (eg rail or highway).
- Significant experience with either a consulting engineer, main civil engineering contractor or a specialist environmental contractor.
- Experience of environmental design and mitigation
- Broad experience of all aspects of environmental design and works and impacts on 3rd Parties
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High standard of computer literacy
- Confidence and experience to challenge designs prepared by others
- The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Qualified Environmental specialist or a related discipline is desirable; membership of a relevant professional body is advantageous
- Holding a valid CSCS card to visit sites is desirable
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totalling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.