About the role
Balfour Beatty VINCI has an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Materials Engineer to join our team to work in Birmingham.
To support the management and delivery of materials engineering services within Balfour Beatty VINCI.
What you'll be doing
The role will involve the following duties and responsibilities:
- To assist technical support to tenders, including specialist materials engineering input and support the work winning team in materials value engineering (VE) and in identifying appropriate VE robust solutions
- Support the projects and delivery teams, providing expert technical support in materials engineering design, assurance and management
- Provide materials testing services to both tenders and project delivery (construction contracts), setting standards in line with the BB Group / JV and relevant sustainability goals
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant materials engineering consultants and suppliers, managing their input in the design, development, pricing and delivery of technical solutions on site and in tenders
- Support the materials team in materials risk management, identifying and recording best practice and areas for improvement on contracts
- Assist where requested, audits of construction and materials including testing and ensure all meet project specifications and relevant standards
- Resolve material technical issues in a timely and efficient manner
- Ensure procedures and quality systems are applied
- Provide procurement strategies for both the re-use, purchase and disposal of materials.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Degree qualified
- Full UK driving licence
- Continually search for ways to add value and take performance to the next level
- Actively collect customer information and use it to improve services and solutions
- Manage the experience of customers to ensure positive relationships are established and maintained.
- Quick learner and adapt positively to changing business and customer demands
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- Experience / knowledge with laboratory materials testing, geology and / or civil engineering
- Willing to go the extra mile to exceed expectations
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers
- A quick learner, adaptable to change and someone who is organised would also suit the role well
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.