About the role
The role of Section Engineer is to deliver the Section of Works in time. They must understand the project set-up, the roles played by different members of the team and details of the site and construction.
The Section Engineer will allocate tasks to Site Engineers and supervise the task completion. They will ensure the Inspection and Test Plans, and Quality Check Sheets are completed as soon as the checks can be completed to ensure that the works are delivered to specification. They will oversee engineering requirements demanded in the delivery of a section of work or on larger projects, of a subcontractor, to meet the construction programme.
What you'll be doing
- Allocate tasks to Site Engineers and supervise the task completion.
- Ensure the Inspection and Test Plans, and Quality Check Sheets are completed as soon as the checks can be completed.
- Oversee engineering requirements demanded in the delivery of a section of work or on larger projects, of a subcontractor, to meet the construction programme.
- Make effective use of document control to manage distribution of information.
Develop and Approve relevant procedures specific to their area of works.
- In association with the Section Foreman, assess the plant and resource requirements to meet the demands of site and office based works.
- Approve method statements and risk assessments and ensure they are being followed throughout the works.
- Ensure Site Engineers complete setting out in accordance with design.
- Ensure Design Drawings are marked up to reflect works completed as the works are finished.
- Liaise with other Section Engineers/Foremen to ensure any clashes on site are managed to ensure a smooth flow of work.
- Regularly review procedures to ensure they are as efficient as possible.
Who we're looking for
- Previous experience as a Site/Section Engineer is essential
- Degree qualified and working towards institute membership (ICE)
- Experience in utilities, earthworks, heavy structures or drainage
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. This includes
- 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 throughout the West Midlands area. We are looking for a wide range of experts to join our team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.