About the role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Geotechnical Manager to join our team to work in Birmingham.
Purpose of the role will involve:
Management of geotechnical information for design and construction activities. Management of geotechnical opportunities and risks. Providing expertise and appropriate challenge for safe and cost effective solutions and Technical assurance role for geotechnical related work (design and construction).
What you'll be doing
As a Geotechnical Manager you will:
- Ensure up to date, quality assured Ground Investigation information is provided to the Permanent and Temporary Works Designers and the BBV supply chain;
- Oversee the management of geotechnical risk and opportunity relating to design and construction;
- Provide technical expertise to ensure realisation of opportunities and management of risks;
- Provide Technical Assurance checks and reviews of geotechnical work forming part of the permanent and temporary works design, with appropriate challenge for cost efficient solutions;
- Contribute to the development of strategies and methods for management of materials;
- Follow the required BBV assurance processes.
Who we're looking for
The ideal person will have the following qualities and experience:
- Qualified Geo-technical Engineer/Geologist or a related discipline.
- Significant experience at a senior level in consultancy and/or a main contractor or specialist ground engineering contractor.
- Experience of geotechnical risk identification, quantification and mitigation.
- Broad experience of all aspects of applied ground engineering from shallow and deep foundations, earthworks, retaining walls, deep basements, reinforced soil structures, shafts and tunneling, to ground improvement and impact on Third Parties.
- Experience and confidence to constructively challenge to optimise design solutions which balance project requirements, risks and constraints.
- Working knowledge of CDM 2015 Regulations.
- Working on large scale infrastructure projects an advantage.
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging railway project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people in the area to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 through the West Midlands area and are looking for a wide range of experts to join the team and support this unique, ground breaking project.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
You could help us build that civil infrastructure:
- 42 viaducts totaling over 11km, 66 over-bridges;
- More than 35 cuttings reaching over 30km;
- 56 culverts and other under-bridges;
- 66 embankments reaching over 33km;
- Building four motorway crossings requiring box structures and six interfaces with the existing rail requiring both dive-under and over-bridge structures.
Balfour Beatty Vinci is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures creating unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond. In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK's infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We've successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure. Our partnership - between two of the world's largest construction companies - creates unrivaled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.